something I’ve been monkeying around with

1. Install Fedora Core 3.(do not install the graphics libraries…freetype-devel, gd-devel, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel, xorg-x11-devel)
2. Update my /etc/yum.conf:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever – $basearch – Base
baseurl=http://mirrors.xmission.com/fedora/core/3/i386/os/

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever – $basearch – Released Updates
baseurl=http://mirrors.xmission.com/fedora/core/updates/3/i386/

3. Install Gyum and update
4. install gnome-desktop-devel.i386, gd-devel.i386, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel, perl-Compress-Zlib.i386

Fedora Webserver

I’m also trying to rig up a new webserver that’s on Fedora so I can get regular updates to the packages. I installed Fedora Core 3, test 2. It’s been patching itself for a few hours now. Hopefully after that I can get the mail up and running. Then I’ll work on the webserver. Maybe I’ll try and get the campage back up and running too, now that my wireless network is actually extant.

building a new box…

it’s to fix up my wireless woes. So I’m going to give Fedora 3 a shot… It’s still in beta so hopefully it’s not awful. I only had 32MB in the box and Fedora puked on that. So I threw in a big stick of 256M Viking memory, but it’s crap and threw errors immediately on memtest86. So I moved it around to make sure it’s not a slot issue. And it wasn’t the slot so I tossed that stick. Then I cannibalized another box and upped it to 64m. That seemed to make it happy. I’m going to let it run on memtest for a bit before I invest any more time in it…perhaps till tomorrow evening.